Link to sermon audio: 2/4/18 sermon audio
Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. 2 And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
For Further Study
Read the following Bible passages this week for Abraham’s story and legacy:
1. The Call of Abram: Genesis 12
2. Abram and Lot: Genesis 13-14, 18-19
3. God’s Covenant with Abraham: Genesis 15, 17
4. Sarai and Hagar, Abraham and Abimelech: Genesis 16, 20
5. The Birth and Sacrifice of Isaac: Genesis 21, 22
6. Death and Burial of Sarah and Abraham: Genesis 23, 24, 25
7. The New Testament testimony: Matthew 1, Romans 4, and Galatians 4
Abraham is one of the Bible’s most significant personalities, the “wandering Aramean” (Dt 26:5) whom God called from the city of Ur to become patriarch of God’s own people. Referred to as the “friend of God” (2 Chr 20:7; Jas 2:23), Abraham played an important role in Hebrew history and in the “drama of salvation.” Through Abraham’s life, God revealed a program of “election” and “covenant” which culminated in the work of the Messiah Jesus Christ. God said to Abraham, “in you all the families of earth shall be blessed” (Gn 12:3; another rendering of the last two words of this quote is “bless themselves”). Centuries later, the apostle Paul explained that the full import of God’s promise was seen in the preaching of the gospel to all nations and the response of faith in Christ, which signifies believers from all families of the earth as sons of Abraham (Gal 3:6–9). The period of Abraham’s life has been estimated in various ways. 1500 B.C., 1230 B.C., 1900-1800 B.C. (Beginning of Middle Bronze Age) or at the end of the Early Bronze Age (2150-2000 B.C.) Abraham is the new name that has the meaning of “father of multitude or many nations.” The original name, Abram, means “father is exalted.”
1. How old was Abram when he departed from Haran? (Gen 12:4)
2. Where are the oaks of Mamre located? (Gen 13:18)
3. What is the name of king of Salem who blessed Abram? (Gen. 14:18)
4. When Abram believed the promise of the Lord about his offspring, what
did the Lord counted it to him as? (Gen 15:6)
5. What is the name of Sarai’s female Egyptian servant? (Gen 16:1)
6. How old was Abraham and Sarah when Isaac was born? (Gen 17:17)
7. What is the minimum number of righteous did the Lord tell Abraham that
he would spare Sodom? (Gen 18:32)
8. What happened to Lot’s wife who looked back on the cities destroyed by
the Lord? (Gen 19:26)
9. What is the name of king of Gerah who took Sarah? (Gen 20:2)
10. What is the name of the Lord Abraham called on when he planted a
tamarisk tree in Beersheba? (Genesis 21:33)
11. What is the name of the place where Abraham took the ram and offered
it up as a burnt offering instead of his own son Isaac? (Gen 22:14)
12. What is the name of Isaac’s wife? (Gen 24:67)
Faith creates true belonging.
1. Knowing God (Genesis 12:1-3)
– “I will.”
2. Growing in faith (Genesis 20:2)
– “She is my sister.”
3. Trusting God (Genesis 22:14)
– “The Lord will provide.”
– What are the characters of God you have experienced?
– What are some habitual sins you keep going back to again and again?
– How much did it cost to God to bless you?
Connect with Us
– After service with our deacons to discuss serving opportunities and with our elders to ask questions about following Jesus.
– Member Meeting is on February 11 right after the service. Both members of Center Church and anyone who is interested in becoming a member are welcome to attend for the updates on the mission of Center Church.
– Knowing God book study fellowship starts today after the service. 6- 8 pm.
– Marriage Workshop with Paul Tripp on February 24 (Sat), 4-9 pm @ the hub. It’s a great opportunity for married couples to work on their marriages and singles to prepare for the call to marriage. $5.00 per person (dinner included)
– Connect with God’s word: Abraham’s story and legacy (see For Further Study)
– Connect with us on Facebook www.facebook.com/centerchurchirvine/