[Sermon summary from 7/9/17’s Sunday Service given by Elder Russell Henry]
Link to Sermon audio: 7/9/17 Sermon Audio
Created. Planned. Sent.
Because of who the Father is, we can live as sons and daughters
1. The Father Created
39 They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, 40 but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41 You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me.43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
– The Father teaches us to live as sons and daughters
2. The Father Planned
4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.
– The Father is present in our daily lives
3. The Father Sent
44 And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.
– The Father provides for us physically and spiritually
Community Group Questions
We make everyday followers of Jesus by meet ups throughout the week. Currently we meet on Tuesdays. For more info, visit Community Groups.
1. What are other ‘father figures’ in our lives?
2. Why do we often undervalue being a son/daughter of God?
3. What does being a son and daughter of God look like in our daily lives?
We learn to pray as a family of God and encourage a culture of dependence and delight in God’s presence throughout the week.
- Pray for safety and health of members traveling and taking time off during summer. Pray that our members would build healthy rhythm of rest and work.
Reading the Bible
We follow the story of God in the midst of everyday episodes of making followers of Jesus.
- Read “Major Beliefs” Bible Reading Plan (65 days) from Lives Changed By Christ church.
This is a 65 day plan that focuses on some of our core beliefs in Christianity. The Major Beliefs plan is a great way to learn what the Bible says about the Trinity, Satan & Sin, our Humanity, Salvation, the Church, Baptism, and much more. This plan follows a 5 day reading schedule, then two days off.
Visit www.bible.com for a free Bible and the reading plans.
Upcoming Meetings and Events
- Worship at the Park on July 30 (Sun), 11 am – 3 pm, @ Oak Creek Community Park located at 15616 Valley Oak Irvine, CA 92618