[Sermon summary from 7/16/17’s Sunday Service]
Link to Sermon audio: 7/16/17 Sermon Audio
Submits. Saves. Sends.
Jesus submits to the Father, saves the world, and sends his disciples to do the same.
1. Jesus Submits
42 saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”
– Jesus can say, “I and Father are one” because he submits to the Father’s will.
2. Jesus Saves
44 And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
– Jesus saves the world by helping people to believe and see the Father.
3. Jesus Sends
17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.
– Jesus sends the disciples to be sanctified in the truth.
Community Group Questions
We make everyday followers of Jesus by meet ups throughout the week. Currently we meet on Tuesdays. For more info, visit Community Groups.
1. Why does it take the power of God to submit to the will of God?
2. What is salvation?
3. What is the relationship between Jesus’ consecration and your sanctification?
We learn to pray as a family of God and encourage a culture of dependence and delight in God’s presence throughout the week.
- Pray that God would be glorified and enjoyed as Acts 29 (600 plus churches throughout the world) gathers for the first time in history as a diverse, global family of church planting churches in Nashville, TN this week (www.acts29.com).
Reading the Bible
We follow the story of God in the midst of everyday episodes of making followers of Jesus.
- Read “Major Beliefs” Bible Reading Plan (65 days) from Lives Changed By Christ church.
This is a 65 day plan that focuses on some of our core beliefs in Christianity. The Major Beliefs plan is a great way to learn what the Bible says about the Trinity, Satan & Sin, our Humanity, Salvation, the Church, Baptism, and much more. This plan follows a 5 day reading schedule, then two days off.
Visit www.bible.com for a free Bible and the reading plans.
Upcoming Meetings and Events
- Orange County’s Pacific Symphony is coming to Irvine on 23rd (next Sunday) at Mike Ward Community Park. Pack a picnic, grab a lawn chair or blanket and gather the family and friends for an evening of free music and outdoor summer fun. It starts at 7 pm. It’s a great way to invite family and friends to worship at church and go for an outdoor concert in the city.
- Worship at the Park on July 30 (Sun), 11 am – 3 pm, @ Oak Creek Community Park located at 15616 Valley Oak Irvine, CA 92618