There’s More to the Story
[Sermon summary from 5/14/17’s Sunday Service by guest speaker Pastor Bogdan Kipko of Forward Church of Irvine – forward.fm]
Link to Sermon audio: [sermon audio will be available later]
16 He appointed the twelve: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter);17 James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James (to whom he gave the name Boanerges, that is, Sons of Thunder); 18 Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Zealot, 19 and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
Calling. Discipleship. Commitment.
Jesus calls you something long before you become it.
1. Discipleship is about three things:
– Position (being with Jesus)
– Proclamation (speaking Jesus’ message)
– Possession (acting His name and authority)
2. Disciples are shaped and formed by the gospel
– Jesus makes and shapes his disciples
– Disciples are shaped and formed by the gospel (Romans 6:17-18)
3. God calls you something or to something long before you become it
– God makes something out of nothing
– Your calling as a disciple is not based on your merit but rather on God’s will
– Are you ready to embrace being obscure, unknown and unrecognized but known by Jesus? (example: Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddeus and Simon the Zealot)
4. The church is incredibly diverse but incredibly united under Jesus
– The team that works together, stays together
– Even the Christian fellowship recruited and trained by Jesus is not an untarnished and utopian society (Judas)
– You don’t have to be perfect, to accomplish the purposes to which God calls you
– Jesus accomplishes His purpose in spite of your failure, perhaps even through it.
Community Group Questions
We make everyday followers of Jesus by meet ups throughout the week. Currently we meet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. For more info, visit Community Groups.
1. What is an example in your life where God called you something long before you became it?
2. Talk about a time in your life when God made something out of nothing in your life. How did that make you feel and what did that do to your faith in Jesus?
3. Why does God often delight working through us in spite of our failures, perhaps even through them?
4. How would your view of achievement and success change and become more Jesus-centered when you would embrace being unknown, unnoticed and relatively obscure?
5. How different would your life look like if you actively began to seek out fellowship with people who are very different from you?
We learn to pray as a family of God and encourage a culture of dependence and delight in God’s presence throughout the week.
- Pray for pastor Bogdan Kipko and Forward Church to embody and express the continuing story of Jesus in Irvine.
Reading the Bible
We follow the story of God in the midst of everyday episodes of making followers of Jesus.
- Read “The Gospel of Mark”, a 5-day reading plan by Lisa Harper: https://www.bible.com/reading-plans/3831-the-gospel-of-mark
Visit www.bible.com for a free Bible and the reading plans.
Upcoming Meetings and Events
– Register for Center Church summer camp “BUILD 2017” at Camp Pendleton: June 16-18, 2017. https://build2017.eventbrite.com
– Save the Date! Worship at the Park on June 25 (Sun) @ Oak Creek Community Park located 15616 Valley Oak Irvine, CA 92618 More details to be announced.